Sunday, October 16, 2011

Self Storage

Let's not kid ourselves. Money just isn't what it used to be. Many people are unemployed, and if you're lucky enough to still have a job, you're probably doing the work of two people. The housing market is stagnant, and several properties will be forever underwater.

And yet, the malls are packed. It's difficult to get a restaurant reservation during primetime, and new cars are flying off the lots.

Less money breeds more spending? I don't think I've ever seen a better blueprint for financial ruin.

But I refuse to fall into the trap. Corners must be cut; budgets must be slashed. So, I've decided to begin with my housing arrangements. I find myself currently between homes, and rather make a deposit on a pricey condo, I'm going to stay with my furniture...

In my storage facility.

That's right. At just $286/month, even subsidized housing can't compete with me. It's not spacious, but it has everything I need.

First, it's climate controlled. That's very important, especially during the winter months. And because I don't have to pay for utilities, I'm saving a bundle. It's a bummer that I don't have any windows, but thanks to my 24-hour security key card, I can step outside for fresh air any time I want.

It also comes with a sizable garage for my car. Because I'll be the only one staying over, I have plenty of room for my car and other garage staples. If my friends want to visit, there's even plenty of extra space for them.

The key to making this work, however, is the proper preparation. First, you need a reason to have an ample amount of furniture migrate with you. A foreclosure works nicely. An eviction, bankruptcy or old reliable, a divorce. You're suddenly out of the house with plenty of furniture to spare.

As long as you have a couch, coffee table, lamp, small refridgerator, dresser, a bed and a television....you have the makings of an excellent storage facility apartment. Besides, you don't want to overfurnish. You'll be able to invite some guests, but a Super Bowl party is out of the question.

Entertainment can be tricky. You'll have to install a satellite dish on the roof, and indoor Wi-Fi could prove challenging. However, it's probably just a few short months away before Apple creates a new device that will be compatible with a storage facility.

When it comes to hygeine, you'll have full access to the corporate bathroom. And the best part is, no lines. The shower is a tough one, but I would suggest keeping a garden hose with you, which can be installed somewhere outside. If you buy a spray nozzle and elevate the hose, you'll have a makeshift shower head.

It could get somewhat claustrophobic in there, so you'll need to keep the door open at all times. You'll have a picturesque view of all the other storage bins, and sit and wonder what everyone else hides in these things. Nights could get lonely, so it's important to entice others to begin to move in. If not, I would recommend keeping an active social calendar, so you won't have to stay in the bin for long stretches.

I'll be moving in next month. If you're interested, but unable to commit long term, I'd be willing to sub-lease.

I'm planning an open house.

1 comment: