Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Photography Camp

For the first time, both my kids and I are experiencing sleep away camp this summer. My kids because they're actually there, and me because I'm realizing that they're no longer here.

But as many of the more seasoned sleep away parents have informed me, I don't have to miss them at all. This is due to the camps' highly extensive websites. Many, if not all of them, post hundreds of photos several times per day, and some even follow up with at least 2 daily videos.

So, I thought I would give it a try. With a simple password, I was granted access to five full days of over 1000 pictures. Pictures of girls playing volleyball and tennis; boys playing soccer and street hockey. Photos of girls cooking, swimming, and dancing. Snapshots of boys hitting baseballs, smacking a gaga ball, and sitting at campfires.

As I looked through several of these albums in search of my own children, I couldn't help but notice a common theme.

All these kids were posing.

They were posing at the pool, on the tennis courts, in the kitchen, at the computer station, while they were eating, and just about in any other area outside of their bunks.

I just can't imagine going to camp, getting involved in an activity and then being told, "wait...stop right there....and smile." "Could you three move closer together?" "Alright..you the tall one, you get in the middle, and you the little one...come down front."

The last time most of us were actively involved in a really good time, and then suddenly told to stop and pose was probably at our weddings. And if most of you can remember, you didn't like it very much. First it was those pre-game family shots, then the horrific table photos, and in total, hours of what Larry David would probably call, "the Stop and Pose." Thinking back to how annoying that was, I can only imagine what it's like in sleep away camp.

I took a closer look at the sea of digital photography. Wait a minute. I barely see my own kids. What are they not cute enough? Maybe that's one of them in the background on this one....Nope. Are they even at this camp? Did they pull a "Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah?" Do they already have an aversion to the Camp paparazzi? My attention was diverted when I looked at the top of the page and saw with just a click of the mouse, you can buy these pictures. Wow. I guess the camp dues just aren't enough to cover expenses.

But more importantly, where are my kids? Then it hit me. Maybe they feel like I do about all these pictures. Perhaps, just the thought of interrupting their cheeseburger with saying "cheese" just isn't their idea of a good time. After all, school is just around the corner. So who wouldn't want to savor every minute of this slice of heaven called "getting away from your parents."

All at once, I was proud of my two non-conformers. But every now and then, it would be nice to see them doing something at his camp other than ducking the cameras.

Maybe they'll show up tomorrow.




No comments:

Post a Comment